Yes, date unknown - Yes, date unknown
||Lydia Curbow |
||Yes, date unknown
- PLEASE NOTE: Regarding the parentage of Lydia Curbow - Based on various records (census and a real estate transaction) and the close proximity of the families: I logically THINK that the father of Lydia Curbow could be Henry B. Curbow (of Georgia 1770-1850). HOWEVER, I have nothing definitive to tie Lydia Curbow to Henry Curbow at this point. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND COME TO YOUR OWN CONCLUSION.
Most of the public member trees on ancestry.com indicate that Lydia was born about 1813 in Fayette County, Georgia; however, I do not have a source for this. If she is in fact the daughter of Henry B. Curbow - we know that Henry was present in in Jackson County, Georgia as early as 1809 and as late as 1816.
The census records for Lydia indicate:
1840 census - she would have been born between 1811-1820.
1850 census - born abt 1813 in Georgia
1870 census - born abt 1810 in Georgia
||Cobb County, Georgia 
|Lydia is living in the household of her husband who is indexed incorrectly as "Soderick Stricklin." The family is living in District 846; members of his household included:|
White male under 5: 1 (William A.)
White male 5 thru 9: 1 (Perry L.)
White male 20 thru 29: 1 (Lodowick)
White female under 5: 1 (Julia A.)
White female 5 thru 9: 1 (Nancy J.)
White female 20 thru 29 (Lydia)
1 person employed in agriculture: 1
1 white person over 20 that cannot read or write: 1
Total of all persons in household: 6; the family lives next door to Nancy Striklin who lives alone; 80-90 years old; this is Lydia's mother-in-law.
||Carroll County, Georgia 
|Indexed as Lydia Strickland, age 37 born abt 1813 in Georgia; living in Division 11; female; family 1123; she is living with husband L. Strickland, 34 who is a farmer; and children: Perry, 18 who is a laborer; Nancy, 14; Wm., 10; Levi, 9; Henry, 6; and Mary, 5; Lydia and her husband cannot read or write; the family is living next door to the Roswell Strickland family (relationship unknown to me at this time) |
||Carroll County, Georgia 
|I have not been able to locate the family in the 1860 federal census; however a James Strickland appears in the Georgia Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index as follows:|
1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules
the owner is Jas. Stickland who lives in District 4 of Carroll County, Georgia. He owns:
Female slave, age 45 who has been manumitted (set free from slavery)
Female slave, age 37
Male slave, age 27
Male slave, age 24
Male slave, age 16
Male slave, age 13
Female slave, age 14
Male slave, age 9
Male slave, age 7
Female slave, age 5
Female slave, age 3
Female slave, age 1
James Strickland; Carroll County, Georgia; 4th District; Slave Schedule; page 325; Database: Georgia 1860 Slave Schedule
||Dark Corner District, Campbell County, Georgia 
|Indexed as Lydia Strickland, age 55 who was born 1815 in Georgia; white female who is keeping house; nearest post office is Powder Springs; living with husband "Lovic," age 60 who is a farm laborer whose personal property is valued at $150; also in the home are children: Lydia A. Stickland, 17 who is a housekeeper and "Buckhanan" Strickland, 14 who is a farm laborer; living nearby is son Henry Strickland and wife; and daughter Mary Ann with husband Jesse T. Pilgrim; no one in the household is able to read or write |
||Yes, date unknown
- Lydia Curbow Strickland cannot be found in any record after the 1870 census. Many of the trees on ancestry.com indicate that she died in 1875; however, I have no source for this.
||Douglas County, Georgia
- It is believed that Lydia and husband Lodowick are buried in the Strickland-Smallwood Family Cemetery - but this has not been proven. This cemetery has 40-50 graves, all marked with un-inscribed fieldstones. The data concerning burials in the cemetery were provided by descendants, John Strickland and Raymond Strickland.
|| Submit Headstone Photo |
||Curbow Montoya Family | Curbow Family Branch
||27 Sep 2013 |
||James Lodwick Strickland, b. Yes, date unknown, Jackson County, Georgia , d. Yes, date unknown, Georgia |
- The date is an ESTIMATE based on the birth year of the first born child and is NOT otherwise sourced by me
- Notes from Barbara Sam:
The names and birthdates for the children of Lodric and Lydia were found recorded in the handwriting of Ethel Ozella Pilgrim McKee, among her papers following her death in 2001 by her daughter Maxine McKee Ard. These were recorded on a Birdge score pad with the advertisement of Chesterfield cigarettes and believe this dates back to 1930s/1940s. Notarized paper by Lydia Strickland Smallwood about uncle who went to war - Gates, who I believe is Horatio Gates Strickland, names her father James Lodric Strickland.
| ||1. Perry L. Strickland, b. 9 Aug 1832, Cobb County, Georgia , d. 16 May 1862, Cumberland Gap, Claiborne County, Tennessee (Age 29 years) |
| ||2. Julia A. Strickland, b. 20 Sept 1834, Cobb County, Georgia |
| ||3. Nancy J. Strickland, b. 29 Jan 1836, Cobb County, Georgia |
| ||4. William A. Strickland, b. 17 Jun 1838, Cobb County, Georgia , d. 26 Oct 1862 (Age 24 years) |
|+||5. Levi S Strickland, b. 17 Aug 1839, Cobb County, Georgia , d. 8 Oct 1910, Georgia (Age 71 years) |
|+||6. Henry G. Strickland, b. Jan 1842, Carroll County, Georgia , d. 1915, Probably Georgia (Age ~ 72 years) |
|+||7. Mary Ann "Polly" Strickland, b. 16 Mar 1846, Carroll County, Georgia , d. Bef 1920, Probably Douglas County, Georgia (Age 73 years) |
| ||8. Harriett C. Strickland, b. 13 Apr 1850, Carroll or Campbell County, Georgia |
|+||9. Lydia Ann Strickland, b. 16 Sep 1852, Carroll or Campbell County, Georiga , d. 21 Sep 1942, Douglass County, Georgia (Age 90 years) |
|+||10. James Buchanan Strickland, b. Nov 1856, Douglas or Campbell County, Georgia , d. 29 Mar 1920, Hogansville, Troup County, Georgia (Age ~ 63 years) |
||26 Sep 2013 20:15:57 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- [S2720518517] 1840 United States Federal Census, (United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Sixth Census of the United States, 1840. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1840. M704, 58), Source Citation: Year: 1840; Census Place: District 846, Cobb, Georgia; Roll: 39; Page: 258; Image: 925; Family History Library Film: 0007042.
- [S2625403972] 1850 United States Federal Census, Ancestry.com, (United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Seventh Census of the United States, 1850. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1850. M432, ), Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Division 11, Carroll, Georgia; Roll: M432_63; Page: 81B; Image: 168.
- [S4273286848] 1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules.
- [S2624683368] 1870 United States Federal Census, (1870. United States. Ninth Census of the United States, 1870. Washington, D.C. National Archives and Records Administration. M593, RG29, 1,761 rolls. Minnesota. Minnes), Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Dark Corner District, Campbell, Georgia; Roll: M593_139; Page: 10A; Image: 147; Family History Library Film: 545638.