An American Journey
The Genealogy of the Curbow-Montoya Family
Curbow Collage
You are currently anonymous Log In
Leonard Miles

Leonard Miles

Male 1760 - 1835  (75 years)


Leonard Miles

Text of Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension

Text of Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension Statements from
Pension application of Leonard Miles W1453 Mary fn39SC
Transcribed by Will Graves 6/21/09
[Methodology: Spelling, punctuation and/or grammar have been corrected in some instances for ease of reading and to facilitate searches of the database. Also, the handwriting of the original scribes often lends itself to varying interpretations. Users of this database are urged to view the original and to make their own decision as to how to decipher what the original scribe actually wrote. Blanks appearing in the transcripts reflect blanks in the original.]
State of Tennessee Lincoln County: County Court January Term 1833
On this 28th day of January 1833 personally appeared in open Court before the Justices of the County Court of Lincoln County Tennessee (now sitting) Leonard Miles a resident of the County & State aforesaid, aged about seventy-two years, who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath, make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.
That he entered the service of the United States under the following officers and served as herein stated. I was born in Cumberland County North Carolina some time in the year 1760 according to the best of my information and of a record of my age now in my possession. I lived in Fairfield District South Carolina, at the time I entered the service -- Some time in the latter part of the year 1777, about 4 or 5 weeks (I think) before Christmas, I volunteered in the South Carolina Militia, in a Regiment commanded by Colonel Robert Gooden in the place of my father who had been drafted in said Regiment. The company to which I was attached was commanded by Captain John Woodward -- we rendezvoused on the Congaree River at Granby from thence we marched to Moncks Corner, thence to the Quarter House about 5 miles from Charleston thence we joined the forces under the command of General Moultrie, who in a short time marched us down to Purrysburg on Savannah River, the British being then in possession of the town of Savannah. We did not have any fighting except some slight skirmishes at that place. We remained at Purrysburg and in the vicinity thereof until the term for which I had volunteered being 3 months expired. I was then discharged and went home -- Sometime in April 1779 according to the best of my present recollection I volunteered in the same Regiment, commanded by the same officers, we rendezvoused at Granby, and were marched to Augusta & were stationed at a place called the Perdu's Hill on the South side of the [word obliterated] & placed under the command of General Williamson -- we remained at this Station 5 or 6 weeks, we then crossed over the River to the Georgia side, went down the River 10 or 12 miles and joined the forces under the command of General Lincoln, we then went in pursuit of the British who marched out into the country of Georgia, & then turned back in the direction of Charleston, in all which route we continued to pursue them, until they took a station at Stono point at which time the term of my service being 3 months having expired, I was discharged and went home. -- Sometime in the winter of 1780, a short time I think after Christmas, I volunteered for a 2 months tour in the same Regiment then commanded by Colonel Thomas Taylor, the Company then commanded by Captain HenryWimpey. We rendezvoused at Russell's ferry about 14 miles below Granby, and marched to Orangeburg Court house, where General Huger took the command. We had no fighting this tour except some light skirmishes with the Tories after the 2 months expired I was again discharged. A few months afterwards (the particular time I now forget) (that I think early in the summer) I again volunteered for a 2 months tour in the same Regiment, commanded by the same officers last mentioned and still under the command of
General Huger, we marched to the Four Hole Bridge, where we were stationed until our term of service expired. In the latter part of the summer or fall of the same year, I volunteered again in the same Regiment commanded by the same officers & was under the command of General Sumter [sic, Thomas Sumpter], we marched down to a place called Bicken Church [sic, Biggin Church]
1 (or some such name) about 30 miles from Charleston, where the British had some forces stationed, we had a considerable skirmish with them, and drove them off -- we then marched up the country on the Catawba River. -- after staying there some time, General Sumpter took 2 or 300 of us, and we marched to the High Hills of Santee -- we marched to Granby2 where the British were then forted, we surrounded the Fort, and had several skirmishes with them, and had a prospect of taking them, but they were relieved by a reinforcement under Lord Rawdon -- we then marched down the River to Thompson's Fort3 where some British forces were stationed and had a skirmish with them, but did not succeed in driving them out of the Fort -- we then marched to a Fort called Wrights Bluff 4where we had another skirmish with the British.5
Sworn to & subscribed in open court the day and year aforesaid We then marched again into the upper parts of South Carolina, and between the waters of the Black River & Lynches Creek we met a body of British & Tories, under the command of Major Frazer with whom we had a skirmish and drove them from their first position, but they retired & took another position from which we were unable to dislodge them. We then marched to North Carolina where we joined the forces under General Greene and our troops soon after had a severe battle with the British at Guilford Court house, but I was not in the battle being confined a few miles from Guilford by the smallpox, which I think was in March 1781. -- After I recovered from the smallpox which I think was about a month or 6 weeks, after the battle at Guilford I joined the forces under General Sumpter then on the Catawba River, we marched down the Congaree and crossed the River at Thompson's Fort -- near which place we joined the troops under General Greene having joined the forces under General Marion a few days before -- we then continued to maneuver about in different parts of the country, watching the movements of the British until sometime in the fall (I think between the first & 15th of September) our troops commanded by Generals Greene, Sumpter & Marion attacked the British at a place called "Eutaw Springs," where we gave them a pretty severe defeat, we then marched up about the North Carolina line, and were engaged in scouting parties against the Tories, until sometime in November when we were discharged & I went home, having been engaged in service this last tour, something like 15 or 16 months -- I was not engaged in service afterwards. -- I continued to live in South Carolina 15 or 16 years after the close of the war. I then moved to Sumner County in this State then to this County where I have lived and have lived for about 22 years. -- I have no documentary evidence, nor do I know of any person whose testimony I can at this time procure to testify to my services -- I never received a written discharge -- I hereby relinquish every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present, and hereby declare that my name is not on the pension roll of any agency of any state.
S/ Leonard Miles
1 July 16, 1781
2 Sumter laid siege to Granby 19-21 February 1781
3 This MAY be a reference to an engagement at Belleville on February 22, 1781 between Sumter and Stuart or McPherson. Belleville was the residence of Charles Thomson. It also MAY be a reference to Fort Motte.
4 Usually referred to as Fort Watson. Sumter attached it March 1, 1781; Marion took
5 The reference MAY be to the skrimishes at Quinby Bridge & Shubrick's Plantation July 17, 1781.
[Ebenezer McEwen, a clergyman, Tunstall Gregory and Henry Warren gave the standard supporting affidavit.]
State of Tennessee Lincoln County: Personally appeared before me the undersigned a Justice of the peace in and for said County Leonard Miles, who being duly sworn deposeth & saith, that by reason of old age, and the consequent loss of memory, he cannot swear positively as to the precise length of his service but according to the best of his recollection, he served not less than the periods mentioned below and in the following grades, viz. For 3 months I served as a private in the year 1777 -- for 3 months I served as a private in 1779 -- for 2 months I served as a private in the winter of 1780 -- for 2 months I served as a private in the summer of 1780 -- for one year and 3 months I served as a private in the fall & winter of 1780 and in the year of 1781 -- & for such service I claim a pension.
In the first tour of my service, I was a substitute for my father Thomas Miles in all the rest I volunteered --
Sworn to & subscribed before me this 23rd of August 1833
S/ Leonard Miles
[fn p. 38]
State of Tennessee Lincoln County: Personally appeared before me, the undersigned, a Justice of the peace in and for the said County, Leonard Miles, who being duly sworn, deposeth and saith that by reason of old age and the consequent loss of memory he cannot swear positively as to the precise length of his service, but as to the last term of service mentioned in his declaration, he would state that from the best of his recollection, the time that he entered the service for that term, was about 3 or 4 weeks after the defeat of General Gates at Camden, and that he was in continual actual service from that time until about 2 weeks after the Battle at "Eutaw Springs" which from the best of his recollection must be at least 12 months. After the time last mentioned He was discharged, from service in the Army, but has failed were still a great many Tories in Fairfield District South Carolina where he then lived, who continued to molest the peaceful inhabitants, he was almost constantly engaged in scouting parties against them, being sometimes called on by the Captain of the company (Captain Rayford & Hagwood). Sometimes volunteering with a few others, without any regular commander and sometimes being called on by Colonel Henry Hampton who lived not far from where he did the time he was actually engaged under the command of officers in the scouting parties he cannot recollect, but thinks that all put together must have amounted to at least 2 months. -- he also stated that during the time of the 12 months tour before mentioned, he was also under the command of Captain Bethany & Captain Frazer. -- he thinks it was more than 2 weeks after the Battle at Eutaw Springs before he was discharged from the Army, but he is certain it was that long
Sworn to and subscribed this 9th Day of November 1833 Before me
S/ A. J. Blakemore, JP S/ Leonard Miles
[fn p. 17: On December 22nd, 1840, in Lincoln County Tennessee, Mary Miles, 80, filed for a widow's pension under the 1838 act stating that she is the widow of Leonard Miles a pensioner at the rate of $80 per annum for his services in the revolution; that she married him in the State of South Carolina District of Fairfield by the Reverend Ralph Jones, a Baptist minister, on last day of March 1785 and that her husband died in Lincoln County Tennessee April 8, 1835; and that she remains his widow.]
[fn p. 18: William Miles, 49, gave a supporting affidavit in which he states that he is the son of Leonard Miles; and he attest to the family record attached to his deposition. His deposition is undated but attested by John Moorhead, JP on December 22, 1840 in Lincoln County Tennessee.]
family record [fn p. 22]
Courtney Miles was born January 14th 1786
Mary Miles was born January 14th 1788
John Miles was born January first 1789
William Miles was born April 25th, 1792
Elisabeth Miles was born April 3rd 1794
Sarah Miles was born March 25, 1796
Nance Miles was born April 5 1798
Leonard Miles was born December 26 1809 [?]
Samuel Con Miles was born October the 14th in the year of our Lord 18__
Pater Miles was born May the 21,1811

Owner/; Transcribed by Will Graves
Date21 Jun 2009
Linked toLeonard Miles (Military)