An American Journey
The Genealogy of the Curbow-Montoya Family
Curbow Collage
You are currently anonymous Log In
 

Histories

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 107» Next»     » Slide Show

History of Laclede County Schools



Laclede County Schools

The history of Laclede schools below was taken from the book History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties published by Goodspeed Publishing Company in 1889. Note that only some portions with many surnames were taken from this book (since there is no index printed for this section of the book, this should be helpful for researchers to find their ancestors.)

Earliest Schools

In common with the pioneers of all newly settled countries, the early settlers of Laclede County were deprived of educational advantages for their children. As soon, however, as sufficient number of pupils were found to exist in any particular locality, the parents or guardians thereof assembled and erected one of the old-fashioned log school-houses, with puncheon floor, open fire-place, with stick and mud or stone chimney, and furnished with hewed plank benches for seats, and rough boards resting on pins driven into the logs for writing-desks. This was the style of the first school-houses, and the teachers were paid by the parents or guardians in proportion to the number of pupils sent by each. These early teachers were generally of limited education. Occasionally a well-educated man was employed.

Public School System

Missouri has had a public system ever since it became a State, but for many years it was considered as an institution of charity for the benefit of the poor, and, consequently, was not patronized or encouraged by the more wealthy classes. The original incentive to the creation of the school system was the donation made by the General Government to the State of the sixteenth section of land in every congressional township, for the purpose of raising a fund to maintain free schools. The first step preparatory to the establishment of such schools in Laclede County was taken February 5, 1851, when the county court ordered that School Township No. 2, as it had previously been organized as a part of Camden County, should be changed to No. 1, in Laclede County. Then, on the 5th of May following, comes this order of county court:

It is ordered that School Township No. 2, in the county mentioned, and bounded and described as follows - it being Congressional Township 33 north, Range 13 west-be organized for school purposes, agreeable to the provisions of an act of the General Assembly of this state, entitled, "An act to provide for the organization, support and government of common schools," approved March 27, 1845, a majority of the qualified voters in said township having petitioned for organization. And it is further ordered, that the first meeting of the inhabitants be held at the house of Richard Stroup on the 7th day of June, 1851, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon. And it is further ordered, that John McElroy be, and he is hereby appointed, commissioner, and Richard Stroup and David B. Laxton inspectors of said township.

Following this order, at the same time and in like manner, School Township No. 3, consisting of Township 35 north, Range 16 west, was organized upon petition of majority of the qualified voters thereof, and the first meeting of the inhabitants of the same was ordered to be held at the house of H. Mizer, June 7, 1851. Benjamin Hufft was appointed commissioner, and John Atchley and H. Mizer, inspectors of the school township. Also, at the same time and in like manner, School Township NO. 4, consisting of Township 36 north, Range 16 west, was organized in response to a petition of a majority of the qualified voters therein, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of Matt H. Hooker, on June 7, 1851. M. N. Houston was appointed commissioner, and George W. McCulloch and Moses Norman, inspectors. On the 6th of May, 1851, School Township No. 5., consisting of Township 34 north, Range 15 west, was organized in accordance with the law cited, the first meeting of the in habitants to be held at the house of William Jones, June 14, 1851. W. O. Duval was appointed commissioner, and William Tyree and William Jones, inspectors. In like manner, and at the same time, School Township No. 6, consisting of Township 35 north, Range 14 west, was organized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of W. H. Smith, June 21, same year. W. H. Smith was appointed commissioner, and T. W. Pearcey and D. B. Murrell inspectors.

On the 6th of August, 1851, School Township No. 7 consisting of Township 34 north, Range 14 west, was organized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of Robert Faires, on the first Saturday in September following. Robert Faires was appointed commissioner, and D. A. Mooneyham and J. C. Morelock, inspectors. On May 3, 1852, School Township No. 8, consisting of Township 33 north, Range 16 west, was organized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of John S. Shields, on the first Saturday of June following. John S. Shields was appointed commissioner, and R. E. Clinkingbeard and John N. Lowrance, inspectors. On the 4th day of August folllowing, School Township No. 9, consisting of Township 33 north, Range 17 west, was organized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of Joseph McMinness, on the first Saturday of September, same year. Daniel Bilderback was appointed commissioner, and D. M. Street and Rufus Phillips, inspectors. On the same occasion, School Township No. 10, consisting of Township 33 north, Range 15 west, was organized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of William Hough, on the first Saturday of September following. Ashford Hough was appointed commissioner, and William Atwood and Cornelius Williamson, inspectors. Also, at the same time, School Township 5. was reorganized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of Samuel McGinnis, on the first Saturday of September following. Z. B. Robertson was appointed commissioner, and Alex. McKey and William McGinnis, inspectors. On May 2, 1853, School Township No. 11, consisting of Township 35 north, Range 15 west, was organized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at the house of Alfred Smithpeter, on the first Saturday of June following. J. B. Lambeth was appointed commissioner, and G. T. Holeman and Elisha Gregory, inspectors. On the 1st of August, 1853, School Township No. 12, consisting of Township 32 north, Range 14 west, was organized, the first meeting of the inhabitants to be held at Hopewell School-house on the second Saturday of September following. Joseph Henderson was appointed commissioner, and James A. Strickland and E. H. Porter, inspectors.

Provided by Jett Hanna via http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crrking/laclede_schools.htm

 



Owner/SourceRootsWeb
Date12 Feb 2013
Linked toWilliam James Atwood (Occupation)

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 107» Next»     » Slide Show