An American Journey
The Genealogy of the Curbow-Montoya Family
|You are currently anonymous Log In|
Charles Franklin Curbow
History of Sanatorium, Tom Green County, Texas
SANATORIUM, TEXAS. Sanatorium is in Tom Green County sixteen miles northwest of San Angelo on U.S. Highway 87. It was never an incorporated town, instead, it was a relatively self-sufficient tuberculosis sanatorium. The first institution of its kind in Texas, the sanatorium provided the isolation to calm the fears of the public, as well as rest and clean air, the only known cure for TB sufferers. The fifty-seven-bed facility opened with a barbecue and celebration on July 4, 1912. In 1913 the facility was renamed the State Tuberculosis Sanatorium. The sanatorium expanded for the next thirty-five years. By the 1930s the facility had treated more than 13,000 patients. From the original four buildings constructed at a cost of $10,000, the facility had grown to thirty-five buildings valued at $1.5 million. In 1930 there were thirteen buildings with 662 patient beds, including 162 beds in the children's Preventorium. The grounds had been expanded to nearly 1,000 acres and included a post office, library, barber shop, dairy, hog farm, butcher shop, bakery, power plant, laundry, printing press with its own newspaper (the Chaser), four water wells, and a school for the children. There were also church services and organized meetings for the Masons, Order of the Eastern Star, bridge club, sewing club, and stamp collectors' club. The complex had grown into a virtually independent community known as Sanatorium. BIBLIOGRAPHY: San Angelo Standard Times, October 7, 1965.